Recipe by Monica Bradsley
Red quinoa salad with sugar snap peas is really tasty. The earthy nutty flavor of the quinoa with the sweet peas is a great combination and the almonds add good crunch. The parsley, present in both the salad and the dressing, brightens up the entire dish. It provides balance and helps the taste buds better distinguish flavors which improves the overall experience of eating this salad. Who knew that a small leafy herb could bring so much to the table? Just make sure to use the freshest parsley you can get your hands on to get the full effect.
• 1 cup of vegetable broth, reduced sodium
• 1 cup fresh sugar snap peas
• ½ cup red quinoa, rinsed and drained
• ¼ cup slivered almonds
• Handful of fresh parsley
• Black pepper
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• ¼ cup fresh lime juice
• ¼ cup vegetable oil
• 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
• Drizzle of honey
• Olive oil, as needed
1. Bring the broth to a boil over medium high heat. Season with a little pepper.
2. Add the quinoa, stir and reduce to a simmer.
3. Cover and cook for 12-15 minutes or until tender.
4. Remove from the heat and leave covered for 5 minutes.
5. Fluff with a fork and leave to cool.
6. Add the dressing ingredients into a food processor and pulse until well incorporated. You can also whisk everything together if desired.
7. Assemble the salad by adding the quinoa to a bowl with the peas and almonds. If desired, you can sauté the peas in a little oil, salt and pepper for added flavor.
8. Drizzle with the dressing.
9. Gently toss the salad to coat everything in dressing.
10. Top with the fresh parsley.
11. Serve or chill prior to serving.