Tips for Taking Care of Pregnant Mothers
The world today is threatened with low birth rates and higher elderly population. To address this, each country is doing its best to provide the best maternal care to its pregnant citizens in order to lessen maternal mortality and further promote population increase among its citizens. Countries with low birth rate are now having different types of programs, packages and incentives to further improve on population and the health of pregnant mothers. Alongside these programs, simple tips on caring for pregnant mothers can be taken into consideration:
- Regular doctor appointments. As soon as a woman confirms her pregnancy, she should look for a reputable and nearby doctor who can check the progress of her pregnancy. By designating a doctor at the first stages of the pregnancy, the mother-to-be will immediately get advices on how to deal with the changes that she will experience during the course of child-bearing. Also, the pregnant woman and the doctor can together schedule the necessary ultrasound scans and laboratory tests to monitor the health of the unborn child.
- Balanced diet. It is a misconception that a pregnant woman should eat for two persons during the nine months of pregnancy. Doctors actually advise that a balanced diet of well-cooked red meat, fish, green leafy vegetables, fibrous bread and fruits must be regularly eaten by the pregnant lady. However, doctors also emphasize that on the last trimester, the pregnant woman must intake extra 200 calories a day. This can be fulfilled through healthy snacks.
- The hormonal changes that will be experienced by a woman during pregnancy can result to sleepless nights and aching muscles. To address this, numerous pre natal massage centres can be visited by the woman in order for her to attain her much-needed pampering. There should be accreditation of pregnancy massage therapists to ensure that pregnant ladies will achieve nothing but the best services not only for them but for their developing child as well.
- Regular exercise. Women may often feel sluggish during pregnancy. This is because of the myriad of hormones that are acting on their bodies during the development of the foetus up to childbirth. While it is important to rest whenever one feels tired, doctors emphasize that pregnant ladies must subject themselves to regular daily exercise in order to combat the feeling of sluggishness which often lead to emotional problems like depression. Some mild exercises that are recommended for pregnant women include walking, swimming, pilates and yoga. Another popular form of exercise for pregnant women is aqua natal classes which promote proper breathing and fluid movement.
- Rest and relaxation. Since most women in Singapore still maintain their full time work during the course of their pregnancy, a number of women have reported work-related stress that troubled their pregnancy. One way of addressing this is through pregnancy massages. Sessions usually last for 30 to 60 minutes depending on the requests and needs of the lady. Another way for pregnant women to unwind is through music therapy coupled with deep breathing. Women can do this at home through the help of their husbands by picking soft music and playing it around the house for at least 30 minutes a day. While listening to the music, the husband can help the woman engage in deep breathing exercises to improve blood circulation and lessen muscle tensions.
Pregnancy is one of the most critical stages in a woman’s life. By accomplishing the tips mentioned in this article, pregnant ladies can be assured that they are doing the best measures to improve their health and that of their babies’.